COVID Symptom Study for School Communities
Guide for Parents
Download the COVID Symptom Study App to record your child’s health daily and get insights on the COVID status of your child’s bubble at school
Download for iOS
Download for Android
Instructions for joining
If you haven’t already done so, you will need to download the COVID Symptom Study App and create a profile for yourself and for your child/children.
Once you have profiles ready for your child/children, go to “Edit Profiles” in the side navigation and select the profile you want to add to a School Bubble.
Tap on School Network - from here you will be able to select the school and bubble that your child belongs to. (If you can't see your child's school or bubble, please contact the headteacher and ask them to register here.)
After completing these steps, you will be able to view your School COVID Status Dashboard on your homescreen - this is where all the key information reported by other parents using the app in your child’s School Bubble will be shared.
Recording health and test results
- Each day, you will receive a push notification reminding you to report how you feel that day via the app (please ensure that push notifications for the app are enabled on your mobile device).
- Please follow the simple steps to report how you’re feeling both for yourself and your child / children - it should take just 1 min for each profile.
- You will have an opportunity as part of this to report any COVID tests you or your child / children have taken, together with their results.
- Please report all symptoms and test results as accurately as you can, as this information will be shared anonymously with other parents and the school to support the decisions that they make.
What information you will receive
- From the moment of successfully completing the steps to join your School Bubble in-app, you will be able to see how many parents are currently part of that in-app Bubble via a dashboard on the homescreen.
- There will be a warm-up period during which the homescreen dashboard will only show the above information - this is to give enough time for all the parents in each bubble to join and familiarise with the app.
- Once the School Bubble is active in-app, we will notify you if anyone in your School Bubble reports their child as having had a positive Covid test.
- Later on, the app dashboard will show you information on symptoms reported by other parents on behalf of their children.
Please note that symptoms reported do not equate to confirmed COVID cases - we will invite parents of children with symptoms to test and once they report their results, we will share the test results with the School Bubble.
Frequently asked questions
How long will the warm-up period be before I start seeing information on reported cases and symptoms?
I forgot to report for my child for one day - what should I do?
Should my partner report for my child too via their app account?
What information will be shared with other parents?
What information will be shared with the school?
How will the school respond in the event of a positive COVID test in a student?
What do I do if my child tests positive for COVID?
What do I do if the app shows that someone in my child’s Bubble has tested positive for COVID?
What do I do if the app shows that someone else in my child’s Bubble is experiencing symptoms that may be linked to COVID?
My friend wants to use the COVID Symptom Study app for their child too, but their school currently does not offer it. How can they join?
What happens to my child’s data?
Note that if you have a query regarding a technical issue with the app, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with your school name in the subject line.