COVID Symptom Study for School Communities
Guide for Parents
Help your child’s school better safeguard children by logging your child’s health and COVID tests.
Receive daily health insights for your child’s school and bubble.
Contribute to the UK's largest citizen science project to help understand COVID in children.
Download for iOS
Download for Android
Instructions for joining
If you haven’t already done so, you will need to download the COVID Symptom Study App and create a profile for your child.
Once you have profiles ready for your child, go to “Edit Profiles” in the side navigation and select the child profile you want to add to a School Bubble.
Tap on School Network to join the school by entering your Unique School Network Code provided by your school leader and select the Bubble your child belongs to.
Now you will be able to view your School Dashboard on your homescreen. This is where all the key information about your child’s School and Bubble will be shared with you.
Recording health and test results
- Each day, you will receive a push notification reminding you to report how you feel that day via the app (please ensure that push notifications for the app are enabled on your mobile device).
- Please follow the simple steps to report how you’re feeling both for yourself and your child / children - it should take just 1 min for each person.
- You will have an opportunity as part of this to report any COVID tests you or your child / children have taken, together with their results.
- Please report all symptoms and test results as accurately as you can, as this information will be shared anonymously with other parents and the school to support the decisions that they make.
What information you will receive
- You will be able to see how many parents are currently part of your child’s in-app Bubble via your personalised Schools Dashboard on the homescreen
- After a warm-up period, we will also show you how many children are feeling well vs unwell in your child’s Bubble and in their school overall
Frequently asked questions
How long will the warm-up period be before I start seeing information on reported cases and symptoms?
I forgot to report for my child for one day - what should I do?
Should my partner report for my child too via their app account?
What information will be shared with other parents?
What happens if another parent using the app logs their child as testing positive for COVID?
What information will be shared with the school?
How will the school respond in the event of a positive COVID test in a student?
I accidentally added my child to the wrong bubble - how do I correct this?
What do I do if my child tests positive for COVID?
What do I do if the app shows that someone else in my child’s Bubble is unwell?
What do I do if the app shows that someone else in my child’s Bubble is experiencing symptoms that may be linked to COVID?
My friend wants to use the COVID Symptom Study app for their child too, but their school currently does not offer it. How can they join?
What happens to my child’s data?
If you have any further questions or concerns, please reach out to your child’s school.
Note that if you have a query regarding a technical issue with the app, please email email@example.com
with your school name in the subject line.